Monday 5 September 2011

Present, Sir


Apologies for the radio silence: I've been working like a well-spanked schoolgirl on my new stories. I'm nearly finished, so I thought I'd come up for air and share a few thoughts.

It's really interesting and fun writing a number of pieces with a common theme, both from a writerly point of view and, given the theme in question, as an enthusiast of kink. It's allowed me to thoroughly immerse myself in the (kinky) school milieu, and all the lovely connotations and mental images that come with it (hockey sticks, chalky blackboards, pigtails, pleated skirts, white socks and knickers... I'm sure you have your own favourites!)

Within that thematic space the most enjoyable thing has been getting into the minds of my characters. My writing is largely character-driven – i.e. the inner lives of the characters are generally the core of the piece – and so I have to step into the characters' shoes as part of the process, in order to make for resonance in motivation and reaction. It's great fun, and similar to real-life roleplay: the thrill of putting oneself in the place of a schoolgirl, caught misbehaving and fearfully anticipating her punishment... it's almost like going back to school myself!

As I mentioned above, the stories are nearly ready for submission. All that remains is to edit and tweak and to try to make them as good as they can be. They share the theme of 'back to school' but they're quite individual, and I hope that as a collection they have something for everyone.

Needless to say, punished bottoms feature prominently in them all.

P.S. Isn't the photo above this post lovely? I scanned it from an old spanking magazine and cropped it to focus closely on the girl's feet under the desk. The black and white graininess and scuffed, heavy wooden chair really help evoke a repressive, old-fashioned school environment. Lovely legs and socks, too. The only thing wrong with it is the footwear the 'schoolgirl' is wearing. Strappy heels? Tut tut!

No comments:

Post a Comment