Friday 15 July 2011

Smack!

Onomatopoeia. A fancy word with an easy enough meaning. Put simply, it describes words that resemble sounds. Or, more properly, words formed by the imitation of sounds associated with their referents. Bang! Crash! Plop! Fizz!

Onomatopoeic words in a spanking story might include 'smack' or 'slap' or 'swish', for example.

My question to you, dear reader, is this: do you like onomatopoeia in your spanking fiction? Do you like smack! to pop* up now and again? Do you think (like me) that it adds a certain immediacy to representations of spankings; that it provides a nice contrast to more descriptive passages? Or do you dislike it?

I'm sure you know that I use it quite a bit in my stories. I try not to overuse it, but the same could be said for any literary technique. It's (as far as I see it) a matter of achieving a satisfying balance. Do I succeed?

I'd be interested to hear from you.

*There's another one. Pop!

No comments:

Post a Comment